Greater Houston Area Council Accepting Clean School Bus Grant Applications
The Houston-Galveston Area Council (H-GAC)’s Clean School Bus Program is currently accepting applications to replace older buses with new, cleaner buses including propane autogas (although not explicitly listed).
There is no deadline; however, funding is limited. Therefore, districts are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. A maximum of 10 buses will be replaced per application. School districts that have never applied for funding from H-GAC will be preferred in the application review process.
The goal of the Clean School Bus Program region is to reduce children’s exposure to diesel exhaust and reduce the amount of air pollution created by diesel school buses.
Based on the limited funding ($10.5M allocated to Houston vs $21.5M requested), there will be many projects that will not be funded. H-GAC hopes to provide those school districts that do not get Volkswagen funds, a chance to replace their buses.
The Clean School Bus Program is serving the following counties: Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery, and Waller. These counties are currently in non-attainment for air quality for the air pollutant ozone.
- Own vehicle(s) currently operating 75% of mileage in the Houston-Galveston-Brazoria (HGB) ozone nonattainment area (Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery, and Waller counties)
- Agree to destroy old chassis and engine with an H-GAC-approved salvage vendor
- Purchase brand new vehicle(s) similar in size and weight to the vehicle being destroyed
- Commit to continuing operating the new vehicle(s) at the same mileage as the old vehicle(s)
- Have site visits to view any and all vehicles under consideration in the program
- NOT perform grant work (purchase, or destroy vehicles) without the grant contract from H-GAC
- Commit to reporting quarterly on mileage, fuel use, and maintenance information for 5 years after reimbursement
To apply, please visit the HGAC website. You can submit all questions and applications to CleanVehicles@h-gac.com. Interested school districts can call HGAC at 713-993-2488 or contact the Propane Council of Texas at firstname.lastname@example.org for grant application assistance.