Propane autogas is a safe alternative fuel that is nontoxic, non-corrosive and insoluble in water. Fueling with autogas is as safe and simple as filling up with gasoline or diesel. Around the world and right here in the U.S., vehicles of all types, from school buses to police cruisers, run safely on autogas.
It’s difficult to change a perception without first understanding the facts. And the facts are, when you understand its properties and know how to propertly handle it, propane autogas is safe." – Mark Holloway, West 1-10 Fire Department
Propane autogas is safe because
- Propane requires a much higher temperature to ignite compared to gasoline and diesel.
- Autogas has the lowest flammability range of any fossil fuel.
- Unlike gasoline and diesel, if autogas leaks it does not pool or puddle, but instead vaporizes and dissipates into the air.
- Since autogas is released as a vapor, it can’t be ingested like gasoline, diesel or alcohol fuels.
- Autogas is virtually odorless and colorless in its natural state. The unpleasant smell you might associate with propane is added to help with detection in case of a leak.